Thursday, April 17, 2008
Final day before the race
Bike and gear are ready. I am ready. My head is shaved to one inch.
My plan is to ride at my pace in order to ride through the night on Friday/Saturday (cooler temperatures) and continue on toward Lemmon. I hope to get to the Control Rd turnoff before sunset in order to start descending Oracle Ridge. According to recent trail work, there is a chance that this section of the trail has been drastically cleaned. The only question remains... is it safe to ride at night or has the traverse of death only been altered a little bit? Weather on Mt Lemmon looks descent so I am going to take a gamble and lighten my warm-clothing load like I did last year. If I miss my deadline, I might just stay down at a lower elevation and take a nap.
A few updates about some of the racers. Max is at home with knee pain. He's out of the race. We had planned to ride together for most of the race. Heal up soon Max. I hope to see you tomorrow on Houghton Rd or at Reddington.
Plesko and Jefe had to bow out of the race today after rolling the Element outside of Show Low. No injuries, bikes are intact, nevertheless the prospect of getting back home after the race might have been problematic if they continued down to do the race. Both had a very good chance at finishing the race, and Plesko would have made the record for rigid singlespeed since nobody has ever finished on said setup. Damn, I wish all three of you could still ride tomorrow.
Waiting to hear from Fred about his arrival in Superior. Until then, I will be prepping dinner and doing some last minute adjustments.