Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Sublime Point, North Rim, Grand Canyon

This trail is the only jeep dirt road open to bikes inside the national park. It is a 19-mile one-way trip that starts about 2 miles from the lodge and goes to one of the best overlooks in the North Rim. I was surprised to see only one car during the entire trip. The trail starts at the Widforss TH. This trail is a classic North Rim trail, offering some sunny meadows and forests full of old pine trees.

The viewpoint has one bathroom (a wall in front of a plastic box with a latched lid) and two picnic tables.

One of the view points before arriving at Sublime Point

It was little hot to sit on the rim in the sun for too long, so I quickly ate, soaked in the view, and headed back to the jeep trail to return to the cooler forest. My camera died when I arrived to the point :(

About 1 mile outside of the car, my cable broke for the back derailer. At first I was a little annoyed, but then I realized that this was my last bike day for the entire trip. Also, when I got back to the car, I noticed that my front fork was leaking some oil and was not working. I decided not to to the KMC because of the issues with my bike. I was sad that I did not do the race, but I had an epic week with friends from Prescott and other friends from the bike shop. I imagine I rode about 350-300 miles during the 6-day mountain bike portion of my trip and ran about 15 miles(Schultz, AZ Trail area, Walnut Canyon, Rainbow Rim Trail, and Sublime Point). I was then off to Zion National Park for the last 3 days.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...