Wednesday, February 16, 2005

¡jugo de naranja!

A friend of mine who was down visiting from the States recently reminded me of one of the things I like so much about living in Mexico, but forget to fully appreciate sometimes: affordable and readily available fresh orange juice.

See, my friend lives in North Carolinda, which is about 3 million miles from the nearest orange tree, and so up there you have to pay an arm and a leg for fresh o.j. that isn't always all that fresh, either. Understandably, she was pretty psyched to start each day in Mexico with a tall glass of freshly squeezed o.j.

When I was living up north myself, I probably treated myself to fresh o.j. about one every month at best. Here, I have it practically every day. At the market near me I can get a kilo of oranges for 4 pesos -- about 35 cents US. That's like 15 cents a pound. These are super-juicy oranges as well -- 3 of them will fill up a glass. And talk about flavor!

Just thought I'd rub that in a little to those of you reading this back in the snowy East Coast (like Virginia)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...